Pediatric dentistry refers to dentistry for children. It is important to take care of a child’s first set of teeth, their primary teeth, because they aid in speech development, allow food to be properly chewed, and maintain space for permanent teeth. It is also important to develop good lifelong dental habits early on.
At Tender Smile 4 Kids, we provide a full range of pediatric dental services, including:
- Preventative and Diagnostic. Basic dental care such as oral evaluations, dental cleanings, X-rays, fluoride treatments, dental sealants, and dental hygiene instructions.
- Cosmetic. Bonding and whitening procedures to improve appearance of teeth.
- Laser. Laser therapy to treat canker sores and cold sores, reshape gum tissue, remove tooth decay, perform oral tissue biopsies, eliminate infection in the gums, fuse tissues, perform frenectomies, and assist in root canals and extractions.
- Orthodontic. Diagnose, prevent, and treat dental and facial irregularities (misaligned aligned teeth and/or jaws). This typically involves braces and Invisalign.
- Restorative. Repairing damaged teeth with composite fillings, pulp treatment, dental crowns, or extractions.
- Laser Lip and Tongue Tie-Frenectomies. Correction for lip or tongue ties to improve swallowing and feeding problems in babies and young children.
- Special Needs. Specialized services for children with Autism, ADD, ADHD, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome and more.
- Sedation. Includes nitrous oxide, IV sedation, conscious oral sedation, and general anesthesia/hospital dentistry. Can be used for in-depth procedures or patients who are nervous or anxious.
Why Take your Child to a Pediatric Dentist?
A pediatric dentist specializes in the treatment of children from infancy through adolescence. There is a higher level of expertise in the dental care of children’s teeth, as well as a better understanding of the needs of children than you might experience at a general dentist’s office. The equipment is also appropriately sized for children, making their experience more comfortable.
What is the Appropriate Age to Start Visiting a Dentist?
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, it is ideal for a child to visit a dentist by the age of one year or at least 6 months after the first tooth comes in. From the time a tooth first erupts it is immediately susceptible to damage or decay. Brushing a baby’s teeth is also important, using a tiny bit of fluoride toothpaste until they are old enough to spit.
How Often Should a Child See the Dentist?
Dental cleanings should be scheduled every 6 months on average to prevent tooth decay. Daily or twice daily brushing and flossing should be done at home in between dental cleanings. A dentist may recommend more frequent visits for patients with a high risk of tooth decay.
Why Become a Patient at Tender Smiles 4 Kids?
Tender Smiles 4 Kids offers a full range of pediatric dentistry and orthodontic services, particularly special needs dentistry. Using cutting edge methods such as laser dentistry, Tender Smiles 4 Kids performs all procedures in the least invasive way possible to promote greater comfort and faster healing. Kind, understanding dentists and staff will help put your children at ease.
Give your child a solid dental foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth. Call Tender Smiles 4 Kids at your most convenient location to make an appointment today:
Freehold Office: 732-625-8080
North Brunswick Office: 732-249-1010
Edison Office: 732-549-3773
Roselle Office: 908-245-5556